there are few more recognizable composers of the Romantic musical era than Antonin Dvorak, and his symphony number 9 will always stand out as a gleaming, beacon and breath of fresh air. When I was a little girl, I played his New World Symphony on my father's record player over and over. more notably, his second movement has made itself a familiar household tune, and something I've found myself humming in all corners of the globe while underway to a familiar harbour. Some nights are quiet and calm- offshore, with the loom of shore thousands of miles in either direction- nowhere to be seen in the black night sky uninterrupted by light pollution- watching the countless shooting stars zoom by overhead- the night well lit by thousands of the stars I am so familiar with. Some nights are tumultuous and violent- and I cling to the helm, feeling each windshift and keeping prudent to sail trim, chart, fellow marine traffic, and any other impending factors that will get us there safely and with little incident as possible. this song has come with me for tens of thousands of miles, and now it is time to impart these instincts upon my son.
the older i get, the more homes i have. the more places and people i have fallen in love with. the world is my home now. it is quite a feeling being homesick for Greenland, Alicante, Roma, Nantucket, English Harbor, Cane Garden Bay, and Gustavia all at once! They say home isn't where you originated- it's where your heart chooses to be.
we're going back to one of our homes to be with friends who are family- where we've not been for 7 months, and it will be a good healing time for our souls, and to live the way I feel we were designed to be living. it was a hard decision to make, but i know that this is 100% the right decision for us now. See you when we see you. Xxx.
No comments:
Post a Comment